Friday, November 9, 2012

Essie - Butler Please (swatches and review)

     Hey guys, I have a swatch for you today. This is essie Butler Please from their winter 2012 Leading Lady collection. This is the first collection from essie that I've actually had an interest in a long time. Most of the collections that the brand has been coming out with lately have been a bit meh to me, although I will admit to eyeing a few polishes from styelonomics, every once in a while.

     This polish is a vibrant medium ultramarine blue. From the bottle, it looks pretty close to Nails Inc's Baker St, which I have yet to get my hands on so the comparison will have to wait until I own both. I do believe there are comparisons available somewhere in the far reaches of the interwebs if you search.

     The formula for this polish is quite thick. The first layer is probably enough for complete opacity if you glob on enough. It's pretty good with self leveling and doesn't bald very easily. Keep in mind that you need to work relatively quickly as this dried very quickly down in a matter of what seemed like seconds to an odd almost-matte almost-rubber finish. If you don't move fast enough, it will streak into an ugly, patchy mess. Adding another coat will definitely help if you mess up the first layer, but the final dried finish is rather unforgiving if you make mistakes. For a person who likes to take the time to not get any polish on my cuticles, I felt a bit rushed with the application.

Swatches:

I didn't put a top coat on these swatches so you can hopefully see the texture.

(sunlight)

(flash)
     The flash seemed to have unearthed a small bald spot on my pointer finger. It disappears under the shade and even in direct sunlight, though.

     Overall, this is an interesting polish. I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other for this type of polish finish. I don't love it as much as I love my jellies or my foils, but I don't hate it like I do metallics. If you liked the illamasqua rubber finish polishes and you like this particular type of in-your-face blue, then this polish may be a nice one to pick up. As always, this polish is available at essie, ulta and most drug stores for around $8 +/-1 depending on where you go.

If you have any polishes you'd like to see swatched from my stash, let me know and I'll put it in my queue.

Thanks for reading!


-seal

No comments:

Post a Comment